Saturday 29 November 2008

Reviews You Can Use

Dan and I watched a French man twiddle his knobs last week. Read all about M83 in my live review.

Oh and if you haven't had enough Eagles of Death Metal (and really, who can have enough Eagles of Death Metal? They're retardedly genius if you're a drunk biker!) - read my interview and live review with Jesse Hughes, thisaway.

Also last week, I went to see OHgr. Who's really Nivek Ogre (who's really Kevin Ogilivie) from Vancouver's industrial godfathers Skinny Puppy. (Basically, Skinny Puppy birthed Nine Inch Nails, but NIN took the credit).

Anyway, I used to be a big fan of the Pups. They were how I "revolted" against my middle-class upbringing - I used to drunkenly request their noise at highschool dances and rail against the "system" by quoting lyrics from "Smothered Hope", "Icebreaker" and "Assimilate".

Anyway, my former-Goth mate Gregg convinced me I needed to relieve my angsty teen years by attending this big-deal homecoming with him, so there I was, on a Sunday night, amongst the ageing freaks. I was black of eyeliner and evil of heart.

But 'lo how I laughed when the actually still-entertaining Ogre came out in a typically theatrical costume - a gruesome rubber mask and outfit -which faced out from his back (he eventually stripped the kit off and turned around to reveal a V for Vendetta-y face mask and makeup). Under a fab light show, he proceeded to sing this delightful little ditty about poo:

Awesome stuff, purile repetition notwithstanding. I felt truly among my freakish people that night. *sigh* Gig season seems to be over now. Franz Ferdinand are headed this way, but I can't be arsed, really. Just seems a bit too top-40, really. And so we head into darkness until Feb.

No comments: